Author Archives: admin.01

Malta, Maria Falcone present in commemoration Daphne Caruana Galizia

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Maria Falcone, sister of slain judge Giovanni Falcone, will be in Malta on an invitation of the non-governmental organisation Repubblika to participate in the commemorative activities to mark the fifth anniversary since the assasination of investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.
Maria Falcone will join the activities which will be held on 16 October, to mark the fifth anniversary of the assassination of Daphne Caruana Galizia that will include a vigil in Great Siege Square in Valletta, where she will make a speech.
Falcone, a law professor, is the sister of Giovanni, an Italian judge who was assassinated by the mafia in Capaci, Sicily on 23 May 1992. Over the past 30 years, Maria Falcone has worked on promoting a culture of justice against the mafia both in Italy and internationally. In 1992, she founded Fondazione Falcone which is recognized by the United Nations for its valuable social and civic contribution.
Fondazione Falcone and Repubblika will also be co-hosting a seminar on 15 October 2022 at the university campus in Valletta to discuss the challenge of having public institutions which work within a framework of rules that encourage behaviour of public officials where their integrity is never questioned.
credit photo agenziafotogramma.it
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta, Mangia reported to the police over alleged sexual misconduct

LA VALLETTA (MALTA/MNA) (ITALPRESS) – The Malta Football Association declared this afternoon that the national team head coach Devis Mangia has been reported to the police over alleged sexual misconduct. Mangia was temporary relieved of his official duties last week after a national team football player reported him over alleged sexual misconduct. The Italian coach has denied the accusations. A second national team player later made similar allegations. Mangia was seen leaving to Italy last week, however, MFA president Bjorn Vassallo clarified that the national team head coach did not escape to Italy but was making use of his pre- booked leave. Last week, the Malta Football Association convened for an urgent meeting during which the executive board endorsed the decision on his temporary suspension and the matter was referred to the Association’s Safeguarding Board to investigate.
In a statement issued on Monday afternoon, the Malta Football Association confirmed that it reported the allegations to the police. The MFA said it is “actively” and “constantly” evaluating all developments in relation to the case. “Although, this case still revolves around allegations, the seriousness of the claims makes it imperative for the Association to seek guidance from both FIFA and UEFA, adopting the same approach used in cases related to integrity issues in international football,” the association added. The statement came after NET News reported an interview which appeared first in Romanian media, after the mother of Razvan Popa told GSP LIVE that her son was sexually harassed by Mangia when he was coaching League 1 at Craiova University.
– foto agenziafotogramma.it –
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta and Cyprus exempted from EU Commission on electricty consumption

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The European Commission approved a derogation in favour of Malta to maintain the production of electricity to its current level. Therefore, the Maltese authorities will not be reducing the consumption of electricty as being forced by the EU Commission on the rest of the EU states.
Malta and Cyprus managed to convince the European Commission because of their particular geographic position, cut off from mainland Europès energy markets, with only Malta is linked with an undersea interconnector connected with Sicily.
Maltàs Energy Minister Miriam Dalli declared that the Commission appreciated Maltàs great dependence on electricity and there will not be a 10% reduction as applied to other Member States. In other EU countries it means consumers will have to decrease their use of electricity.
Minister Dalli said the Maltese Government will continue working on discussions with the EU Commission to implement new energy initiatives and to control the price of gas throughout the EU while not being dependent on the use of Russian gas.
This is the third derogation obtained by the Maltese government since last August when the Energy Council said the mandatory 15% reduction of gas consumption does not apply to Malta and last year another derogation was negotiated so that the gas pipeline from Malta to Sicily qualifies as a project of common interest.

– foto Agenziafotogramma.it –

(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Osce proposes recommendations to enhance Malta’s political integrity

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe is proposing several measures to the Maltese authorities which will provide more integrity and political transparency by public officials.
The proposals were made public during the presenation of the fourth report published by OECD aimed at strengthening standards of public life and provide greater Government transparency in Malta. The report was jointly prepared together with Commissioner for Public Standard George Hyzler.
The OSCE is suggesting among other recommendations a change in the Code of Ethics for Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries as well as all Members of Parliament.
It is also proposing that the Maltese Members of Parliament should not have secondary employment with Government.
Another proposal is the setting up of a register in which all Members of Parliaments will declare all gifts, benefits and donations given to them and their relatives, and even those that are not accepted. The OSCE is also recommending that the Commissioner for Standards in Public Life should decide whether the gifts should be accepted, or not and that there should be a limit on the value of gifts.
Carissa Munro, Policy Analyst with OECD also said, “we are recommending that the Government adopt a Law on the regulation of lobbying, that it focuses on the issue of transparency, both who is lobbying who, on what issues and also that incorporates issues of integrity so that public officials will know what it means to uphold integrity standards when they engage with lobbyists and third parties”.
Munro added that Malta faces the further issue of being a small country and its Parliament operates part-time, hence the reasons for the proposals.
(ITALPRESS).
– photo by Department of Information –


Source: medNews

Mangia breaks the silence “Unfounded and false news”

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Late on Wednesday evening, in a statement to the media through his lawyers, coach Devis Mangia denied the allegations against him. “In light of the reports in the national media, it is my duty to specify that I have never carried out, neither now nor in the past, conduct that damages personal or sexual dignity towards any player or a member of the Federation”. Mangia also stated that “contrary to the reports in the media, these types of behavior were never contested against me by the Federation. These are just unfounded and fake news, which seriously damage my personal dignity and professional reputation”.
In view of this, Mangia and his legal team warned against “the publication of more stories and rumours” while reserving the right to proceed legally against what he referred to as defamatory conduct. Mangia also said that from now on, after clarifying his position through this statement, every other communication will be made in agreement with the MFA, “with respect to the correctness of the professional report between the -both parts.”
– photo agenziafotogramma.it –
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta, another player accuses Mangia

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Following the win of the Maltese national football team against Israel in Ta ‘Qali last night, the Italian coach Davide Mazzotta said that “the Maltese players have dedicated this victory to Mister Mangia”. Hours before the friendly match between Malta and Israel which Malta won 2-1, the Malta Football Association announced that coach Devis Mangia had been temporarily suspended as head coach of the national teams following a report received on a alleged violation of its policies. According to the local media, Mangia was called to respond to allegations of “sexual harassment” against a player of the Maltese national team. According to the Maltese Federation, Mangia has declared his willingness to cooperate during the investigation to establish the facts. Mazzotta also stated that he does not know what will happen in the next days but NET News is reporting that it can confirm that in the last few hours another football player has come forward who is alleging abusive behavior on the part of the national coach Devis Mangia.

So far the name of this second national player is also still unknown, although it seems that the case is very similar in nature to what was revealed yesterday. According to NET News, the first case which was made public yesterday, seems to have happened more than a year ago and allegedly there are recordings that are evidence of what happened. The first player who had the courage to expose with the relevant authorities what he went through, was part of the Maltese contingent in Estonia last Friday. The Malta Football Association received a report on the alleged sexual misconduct by the national football coach Mangia last Sunday. Now, he has two cases brought forward against him by Maltese national football players. The police in Malta is also investigating the recorded evidence that alleges Mangias sexual harassment while the latest developments were discussed on Wednesday evening by the Executive Board of the Malta Football Association. The meeting was very cordial, during which it was decided that there would be a period of three weeks when the Executive Committee is expected to receive the recommendations on what action should be taken. In the meantime, Devis Mangia, will remain suspended while receiving half of his salary.
During the Executive meeting held this evening, the President of the Malta Football Association Bjorn Vassallo gave a detailed explanation about the due diligence that was done before Devis Mangia was hired as coach of the Maltese national team. The due diligence included meetings that Vassallo had personally with Mangia’s international contacts including very high officials employed by Coverciano and the FIGC in Italy, as well as within the Romanian Football Association.
– foto Image –

(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Maltàs win against Israel dedicated to Mangia

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Following the win of the Maltese national football team against Israel in Ta ‘Qali last night, the Italian coach Davide Mazzotta said that “the Maltese players have dedicated this victory to Mister Mangia”. Hours before the friendly match between Malta and Israel which Malta won 2-1, the Malta Football Association announced that coach Devis Mangia had been temporarily suspended as head coach of the national teams following a report received on a alleged violation of its policies. According to the local media, Mangia was called to respond to allegations of “sexual harassment” against a player of the Maltese national team. According to the Maltese Federation, Mangia has declared his willingness to cooperate during the investigation to establish the facts. In the absence of Mangia, Mazzotta said that the Maltese players have had an excellent game and that in recent years the Maltese national team has made great progress and there are also young players who now have the experience of playing similar international matches. However, Mazzotta also stated that he does not know what will happen in the next few hours. He took the opportunity to thank the President and Secretary General of the Maltese Football Federation and all the staff for their collaboration. The Executive Board of the Malta Football Association is expected to meet later today to discuss the latest developments.
– foto Image –
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Maltàs national football team head coach suspended

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Malta Football Association has announced that it has suspended temporarily the national teams head coach, the italian Devis Mangia, following a report the association has received on an alleged breach of its policies. Mangia is the former Italy Under 21 coach.
In an official statement, the Malta Football Association did not divulge the details on the allegations. However, the association added that the Italian coach gave all his assurances to cooperate during the undergoing investigations to establish the facts.
“The Malta FA communicates that Devis Mangia has been relieved temporarily of his duties as Head Coach of the National Teams following a report it received about an alleged breach of its policies,” the statement said. The shocking annoucement came on the day the Maltese national team is scheduled to play against Israel in Malta. Davide Mazzotta, the assistant coach, will be in charge of the Maltese national team. Mangia has been Maltàs national team coach for almost three years and his contract ends in December 2023.
– foto Image –
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta,American woman requests compensation after she was denied abortion

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – An American woman has filed a Constitutional case against the Maltese health authorties following the decision taken against her last June following her request for an abortion. She was 16 weeks pregnant at the time.
The woman, 38 years old, is insisting that the international laws were breached in her regards by the Maltese health authorities. While she was on a holiday in Malta with her husband, she was admitted to hospital after she was suffering from heavy bleeding. According to medical records, her placenta was becoming detached but the heart of the foetus was still beating and she was refused to terminate the pregnancy although she was about to miscarry.
The woman is stating that Maltese authorites had breached the European Convention of Human Rights and is requesting compensation from the Maltese government. While declaring the pregnancy was planned, the way it developed, her health had been endangered. Prudente is also arguing that the lack of adequate care meant a longer duration to receive the necessary treatment which she described as “inhuman and degrading treatment”.
(ITALPRESS).

– credit photo agenziafotogramma.it –


Source: medNews

Malta observes a day of mourning for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Malta observed a national day of mouring in respect to Queen Elizabeth II as her majesty is laid to rest. National flags on all government buildings and public areas have been flying at half-mast throughout the day. A gun salute was fired across the Grand Harbour by the Armed Forces of Malta. Queen Elizabeth died on September 8, aged 96 marking the end of a 70 year long reign in the British history. The President of Malta George Vella attended the state funeral service. Malta was also represented by Judge Joseph Galea, honorary president of the George Cross Island Association, as one of the only three collective recipients of the George Cross, awarded for military gallantry. As a princess, Queen Elizabeth II lived for two years in Malta while her husband, Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh was serving with the Royal Navy in Malta. The house where the queen lived in Guardamangia will undergo restoration works. King Charles III is well-informed about this restoration project, and according to the President of Malta, this project will be a sign of respect to the Queen’s memory. Her majesty was also Queen of Malta for ten years; from 1964 until Malta became a republic in December 1984. In London, the President of Malta George Vella paid tribute to Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Hall, where her coffin was lying in state. He also signed the condolences book at Lancaster House. President Vella said that King Charles III knows Malta very well and added that even Prince Edward, the youngest of the Queen’s children said that when the Royal Family mentions Malta it considers the island “as family”.
(ITALPRESS).
-credit photo agenziafotogramma.it-


Source: medNews

1 2 3 96