News

430 migrants returned to Libya in a week

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The International Organization for Migration revealed that 430 migrants, including 10 women and 20 children, were intercepted at sea, and subsequently returned to Libya. Additionally, the IOM reported the tragic discovery of one deceased migrant within the past week. Throughout the current year, the IOM has documented that 13,065 migrants have been successfully rescued, and brought back to Libyan shores. 933 more migrants have lost their lives, and 1,233 have been reported missing while navigating the perilous Central Mediterranean route, near Libya.
Comparatively, in the year 2022, the IOM recorded that 24,684 migrants were rescued and returned to Libya, while 529 lost their lives, and 848 were reported missing along the same treacherous route.
Following the collapse of the regime of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, Libya has transformed into a major transit hub for predominantly African migrants aspiring to reach Europe via the Mediterranean. Many migrants and refugees originate from sub-Saharan Africa, fleeing poverty, conflict, and persecution, with the hope of finding a better life in Europe.
Libyàs strategic geographic position, with its long Mediterranean coastline, makes it an attractive departure point for these desperate journeys. The European Union has faced criticism for its cooperation with Libyan authorities in intercepting and returning migrants, where they are often exposed to dire conditions. Detention centers in Libya are notorious for overcrowding, abuse, and a lack of basic necessities.
International organizations, including the IOM and UNHCR, have been vocal about the need for humane treatment of migrants and the importance of providing safe and legal pathways for migration. Despite the risks, migrants continue to embark on these perilous journeys, and the Central Mediterranean route remains one of the deadliest migration routes in the world.

foto: Agenzia Fotogramma

(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta registered a record-breaking temperature for November

LA VALLETTA (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Warm weather continued to hit Malta with the first day of November recorded the highest temperature ever registered.
The Meteorological Office confirmed that the peak temperature was of 29.1°C as stable weather conditions contributed to the record high temperature.
The unusually warm weather has led some schools to postpone the annual change to winter uniforms until later this month.
The record-breaking temperature was significantly higher than the maximum average temperature for November, which traditionally stands at 20.8°C.
“Wednesday started with a minimum temperature of 18.9°C, which is nearly 4°C above the average minimum climate norm for November,” a spokesperson for the Meteorological Office said.
The Meteorological Office said that temperatures are expected to fall to 25°C on Friday and then to 22°C on Saturday.
A mixture of sunny and partly cloudy conditions is expected over the next week, with temperatures hovering around 25°C from Sunday.
Last month was the driest October for over hundred years with farmers are struggling to battle insects and a lack of water.
-photo Agenzia Fotogramma-
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta assisting the collection of donations for the population in Gaza

LA VALLETTA (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Foreign Ministry in Malta said that it is assisting the collection of donations for the civil population in Gaza, which will go to several humanitarian organisations in the Middle East.
Meanwhile, the Ministry confirmed that it has doubled its annual contribution to the UN Relief Works Agency (UNRWA), which works to assist vulnerable Palestinians in Gaza and elsewhere.
In a statement, the foreign ministry said it has been following with extreme concern the daily humanitarian developments emanating from Gaza, which it said heading into a humanitarian catastrophe.
“The Ministry immediately condemned the act of terrorism perpetuated against Israel by Hamas but reiterated the importance of always distinguishing between Hamas and Palestinian civilians”, foreign minister Ian Borg said.
The ministry will now assist members of the public who wish to donate funds for Gaza, by facilitating a collection of funds that would be divided equally between UNRWA, as well as the International Committee of the Red Cross, which is also addressing the urgent humanitarian situation in Gaza.
-photo Agenzia Fotogramma-
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta urged to assist and send medical supplies to Gaza

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Maltese government is being requested by the Palestinian authorities to assist in donating medicine and to send medical supplies to Gaza. The Palestinian Embassy in Malta is urging those who want to donate do so through the Embassy to ensure that the supplies go through the proper channels and end up in the hands of the Palestinian people. “As we truly appreciate your kind will and initiative to stand with our families in our beloved Gaza, we would like to inform you that donations including medical supplies, food, and medicine should be carried out only through the Embassy as we channel the donations through the international organizations,” the embassy said in a statement. The Red Cross and the Red Crescent m are the “only channels” that will deliver donations to Gaza. The Palestinian embassy also said that it would prefer to collect money and use that to purchase humanitarian supplies from Egypt in order to avoid the high resource cost that would be involved in transporting such items from Malta. “We are facilitating the donations to be sent as we prefer to purchase them from Egypt and send them to Gaza rather than collecting them here and spending money on logistics”.

– Photo: Agenzia Fotogramma –
(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Malta’s multi-billion metro project “not a priority”

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Maltese government has confirmed that a multi-billion underground metro project is not a priority, despite a proposal that was unveiled two years ago by the government itself. The metro project with an estimate of €6.2 billion was not included in the Budget for next year presented in parliament by the Minister of Finance Clyde Caruana. Maltese Prime Minister admitted “it is not at the top of our priorities,” adding “there are still studies ongoing and it is one of the possibilities or alternatives that we are considering”. In October 2021, the government published the proposal for an underground metro that would operate through 25 stations around Malta. According to studies by London-based consultants, Arup Group, it would take 15 to 20 years to build.

(ITALPRESS).

Foto: Agenzia Fotogramma


Source: medNews

Malta accused of ignoring distress calls

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The German NGO Sea Watch accused the Maltese authorities of ignoring calls for immediate assistance to migrants in distress. The NGO said that its monitoring aircraft Seabird spotted a distress case this week where a group of migrants onboard a boat were sheltered by the PAN MULTIARA merchant vessel from high waves for ten hours. Sea Watch remarked that the Maltese authorities neither answered the calls for assistance nor offered to rescue the migrants while the nearest rescue vessel had no permission to rescue the people in distress. Sea Watch described Malta’s non-response as “disgraceful”. Meanwhile, the Tunisian authorities are under heavy criticism as a group of migrants are feared that were taken back to Tunisia illegally. A group of 50 migrants managed to find shelter on a gas platform, while crossing the Mediterranean Sea. However, a Tunisian coast guard ship was immediately on the scene for further investigations.(ITALPRESS).

 

Foto: Agenzia Fotogramma


Source: medNews

Malta plans land reclamation projects

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Maltese government is planning to issue proposals for further discussions and eventually introducing new applications with the relevant competent authorities for land reclamation. This was announced by the Minister of Finance Clyde Caruana during the announcement of next year’s Budget. In the past months, the Minister explained, the government has explored a number of projects which not only ‘respect and improve the environment’, but also ‘analyse with experts the best interventions’ when it comes to land reclamation.
Malta is expected to start reclaiming land during this legislature, a move considered crucial to keep the economy growing. (ITALPRESS).

Foto: Agenzia Fotogramma


Source: medNews

Libya establishes new maritime zone for the use of energy sources

TRIPOLI (LIBIA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – Libya’s national unity government, headed by Prime Minister Abdel Hamid Dbeibeh, established a new maritime zone, which analysts considered a new chapter in the intense race over energy sources in the Eastern Mediterranean basin. Libya will be become a renewable energy source for Malta following a Memorandum of Understanding signed earlier this year between the Libyan Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah and the Maltese counterpart Robert Abela. Abela said, “Libya has a strong potential to generate renewable energy and in the context of Libya’s willingness to be a strategic partner with the European Union it leads to Malta being ready to serve as a centre for green energy that connects Europe with Africa”. The cooperation on the use of alternative energy is also of great importance following a meeting with the Prime Minister of Italy Giorgia Meloni and in the context of an agreement reached in Malta this year at the MED9 summit between the energy ministers of nine member states of the EU located in the Mediterranean. The new Libyan decision expands the authority of maritime borders from 12 to 24 nautical miles. However, the demarcation of maritime borders by Libya constitutes a point of fundamental regional disagreement with Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, and Egypt. Signs of the disagreement appeared since the signing of a maritime border agreement between the Tripoli government and Turkey in 2019. The Foreign Ministry of the Dbebeih government justified this by saying the region falls within Libya’s sovereign rights over the area adjacent to its territorial waters and does not violate international law or infringe on the maritime borders of other countries. The head of the Land and Maritime Boundaries Committee at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mohamed Al-Harari, asserted that the new law confirms Tunisia’s eastern marine border. (ITALPRESS).

Foto: Agenzia Fotogramma


Source: medNews

Italian minister of Defense “First humanitarian aid is arriving to Gaza”

ROME (ITALPRESS/MNA) – “An Air Force C130 has already left this morning to transport the first humanitarian aid to the Palestinian population. The flight, organized in cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the UN and the Red Crescent, is about to arrive in Egypt from where the aid will be transported to Gaza via the Rafah crossing. Furthermore, several naval units have been ready for days which will transport further aid, if security conditions allow it, to provide humanitarian support to the population affected by the ongoing conflict in the Middle East”. This was stated by the Minister of Defense, Guido Crosetto, in a statement.

He also announced Defense vehicles will be used to transport humanitarian aid to Gaza from the Mediterranean. The multipurpose offshore patrol vessel, Thaon di Revel, of the Military Navy, has already been sent to Cyprus in recent days, following a decision taken by the Defense Minister himself while two other Multimission Frigates of the Military Navy and an ‘amphibious unit’ are also prepared for their mission.

The Minister added, “further shipments of humanitarian aid prepared by the Defense Ministry are expected in the coming days”, but he reiterated: “it is necessary to make a clear distinction between Hamas, which is a dangerous terrorist organization that aims to destroy the State of Israel , and the present and future destiny of the Palestinian people who are suffering, through no fault of their own, with many deaths and tragedies. This is why the Ministry of Defense is ready, with all its assets, to do everything possible to help the civilian population and, as soon as possible, provide basic necessities and goods, as well as evacuate civilians, both foreigners, Israelis and Arabs, who request it for health reasons”.

In conclusion, the Minister recalled that “Italy is working 360 degrees, through all its government representatives, to achieve a de-escalation of the conflict as soon as possible. However, it would be truly dramatic if the ongoing war, starting from Israel’s understandable reaction and its consequent military counter-offensive on the ground, inflamed the Islamic world and triggered a new war between the West and Islam”.

– Photo: Agenzia Fotogramma –

(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

Protests over the proposed gas pipeline between Malta and Sicily

LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation and the environmental NGO Friends of the Earth condemned the proposed gas pipeline between Malta and Sicily.
The Melita TransGas Pipeline is a 159-kilometre pipeline proposed to run from Delimara in Malta to Gela in Sicily, intended to transport natural gas, renewable gases and hydrogen from Italy to Malta.
The two organizations are saying that through this project, the key investors that will ultimately benefit are those involved in the controversial Electrogas project, including former Electrogas director Yorgen Fenech, who has been indicted for the assassination of investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.
“Corruption, assassination, and environmental destruction are keywords associated with the Electrogas power station and the Melita TransGas pipeline proposed by the Maltese Government,” declared the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation and the environmental NGO Friends.
This pipeline with an investment of €400 million, was listed by the European Union as a Project of Common Interest, making it eligible for EU funding.
“Clauses in Electrogas agreements are set to trigger a multi-million payout to the company once the gas pipeline is completed and connected to the Electrogas power station, rewarding the ultimate beneficial owners”
The organizations added, “the European Union and Malta risk not only rewarding the alleged killer of Daphne Caruana Galizia but also her murder itself”
In 2017, Daphne Caruana Galizia received a leaked cache of over 600,000 emails related to the Electrogas project. A year earlier, she had exposed the ownership of offshore companies in Panama by former prime minister Joseph Muscat’s most trusted men, Keith Schembri and Konrad Mizzi.
These offshore companies were allegedly intended to receive substantial payments from a secret company called 17 Black, which was later revealed to be owned by Yorgen Fenech. Both Schembri and Mizzi denied any wrongdoing and claimed they had never received any money from 17 Black.

– foto: Agenzia Fotogramma –

(ITALPRESS).


Source: medNews

1 9 10 11 12 13 148