Malta orders anti-Covid test for travellers arriving from China
LA VALLETTA (MALTA) (ITALPRESS/MNA) – The Maltese government changed its policy within days regarding travellers arriving in Malta from China. From next Monday they must present a negative rapid test for Covid-19 in view of the growing number of infections in China. There are no direct flights from Malta to China, however, the Maltese government is insisting that the measure would apply to all travelling originating from China.
The Superintendent of Public Health said these travellers should be tested no more than 48 hours before their arrival in Malta. This does not apply to children aged 11 or under.
Last week, the Maltese health authorities said that there was no immediate plan for the introduction of such tests for travelers arriving from China. However, the Maltese government was assessing the situation with the help of the European Commission and the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.
Many diplomats from several European countries met in Brussels to decide on a plan against the recent increase in Covid-19 cases in China. All diplomats said EU member states should recommend that all people on flights to and from China wear face masks.
Additionally, they have encouraged countries to request a negative test before they leave China.
China has recently shown little agreement with these decisions, so much so that a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman stressed that screening travellers from China against Covid-19 is unacceptable. Despite this, Italy has already ordered the test for travelers arriving from China. Spain, France and the United Kingdom immediately followed suit while Portugal and The Netherlands will follow Maltàs decision.
– foto agenziafotogramma.it –